Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Baking 2



This week was custards, bread pudding and ice cream. I made creme brulée, chocolate pudding and bread pudding. It's funny, I have made all of these desserts before, which sort of made me wonder if taking a class on these is really worth it. But then I realized, it is because I have made these before, that I'm going to get so much more out of this. I always question what I'm doing during preparation, or during cooking (how fast should this be coming to a boil? when is it ready for the next step? what is the best technique? what are some of the tricks?). So, being in class, I was able to ask those questions in real time. Super helpful.



The creme brulée and bread pudding were great. But the big surprise was the chocolate pudding. Oh my! I would never have chosen to make it on my own, nor would I be likely to order it on a menu, but WOW! Done right, it is so decadent and delicious. Forget that Jello stuff. It had a depth of flavor that made me think there was liquor in it, even though I knew there wasn't. I know we used good chocolate, but I don't think it was anything terribly extravagant. It must have been the technique! The pudding was so dense with flavor, a little went a long way. Thankfully, there were leftovers to take home. Every night, a heaping spoonful was a great sweet treat after dinner.

A couple days later, I was sifting through my recipe cutouts, and I found the recipe for Butterscotch Budino from Mozza. One of the best things I've ever eaten in my life!! I remember reading over the recipe a year or so ago, thinking it sounded so difficult. After Baking 2 Class though, I reread this recipe and the technique was the same as what I had just done. Easy, really. I can't wait to make Budino at home!

1 comment:

Ribeye said...

the puddin' was great. i didn't get to sample the creme brulee (frowny face)