Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Wine Tasting



The last two weekend's of cooking class were actually on Wine. We tasted wine at 9:30 a.m. I'm not going to pretend like I've never drank that early. But, you know, I've never set an alarm, washed my face and gotten ready to drink that early.
I've gone wine tasting at vineyards in Paso Robles, Los Olivos, Santa Ynez Valley, Napa, Sonoma, Santa Cruz, Temecula, Spain, Oregon.... I have hosted and attended wine parties, frequented local wine shops, planned vacations specifically to taste wine. In other words, I have had some wine tasting experience. But NEVER have I tasted like I did over the last two weeks. And learned so much. A few things I learned and will do differently on future tastings...


Weekend one- Taste with the whole mouth.
Wash it left, right, under tongue, over teeth, and roof of mouth.
Nose should penetrate the plane of the glass opening when sniffing.
Store white wine AND red wine at same temperature.


Weekend two- Wine is an ingredient. Cook with it. Use it as accompaniment with food.
Food and wine should go together and bring out the best in each. Not be a detriment, nor pull out bad flavors or make anything taste less fresh or delicious.
Taste wine by itself. Taste each part of a meal or food by itself.
Taste wine again.
Taste food altogether. Then wash it down with wine.
Think, discuss, share. Repeat.

No comments: