I bought a BEEE-YOOT-ee-ful steak at the best butcher shop I know, PlowBoys in Huntington Beach. Worth the trip down the 405. I had a loose game plan, I executed, I doubted, I overcooked. I ruined a $24 steak...
But I'm not going to let it get me down. It was a valuable experience. Sometimes you need to make the mistakes, and be able to identify exactly when you slipped. Then work on it, and get it right.
Coupla things I will do better next time:
• Not wait till starving to begin cooking
• If I notice the butter/oil combo already burned in the pan before placing the steak in, stop right there, and start over
• Preheat the oven, so that after searing, this will be the final cooking method
• Review my notes on how to cook the perfect steak
• Have a plan, stick to it
• Remember carryover cooking, and
• Be strong, be patient, don't cave and throw it back on