Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Fail harder

My teacher is encouraging us to LET GO of the recipes, and cook with our instincts, skills and knowledge, off the cuff.. Funny, she said that at first our food will get worse. I'm glad she said it, because it took the pressure off. I can't get better if I don't make the leap, and I can't expect it to be really good right off the bat.
Last night, I made that jump. It was ... edible. But NOT wonderful. Too salty, too burnt-tasting... Not the right techniques together, etc. I TRULY want to get away from reading and re-reading each and every laborious step in a recipe. It's just so much work. I want to develop instincts and confidence and the ability to evaluate, at a critical time what needs to be done, what can save the dish, or make the dish.
So yeah, marginal food. But I'm proud to have failed so well, and can't wait to fail some more.
Brussels done two ways: as a Salad with Goat Cheese and Hazelnuts, also Steamed then Fried Brussels with the crispy bits from the pork skillet, and Rosemary Pork Tenderloin

No comments: