Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Gumbo

… rang in the new year!
I'm so glad I remembered to consult my notes (from a post 5/29/13) before making this most recent batch of Gumbo. I tried several techniques to insure great results, and I think it all worked for a terrific tasting Gumbo.
Here are a few techniques I tried this time:
a. 1:1 ratio, using all-purpose flour (not GF)
b. Started off a little hotter for a quicker pace
c. Used heated stock, whisked in, boiling before each addition
d. Acted quickly when it started to go too fast. I noticed at one point it smoked, and firmed-up at the same time. I immediately pulled it off the heat and stirred vigorously to cool down. I never saw black speckles (phew)
e. Stayed very conscious of any drastic temperature changes. Even made sure vegetables were room temp going in
f. Pulled it off at the milk chocolate color stage, to be a little conservative. The roux took about 46 minutes - my fastest roux yet!

No comments: